Saturday, October 18, 2014

Making Mini Quilts

One of my current goals is to make a bunch of mini quilts.  I finished up this little autumn quilt and started a non holiday mini.
Little Pumpkins and a Crow table topper
The morning indirect lighting is lovely don't you think?

This could be a table topper or...

A wall hanging.
I found a picture of a crow like this and figured out how to make it.

Here are the dimensions and a few instructions if you want to make one.  (Let me know if you need further directions.)
1.  Sew the 3 7/8" triangles together and trim to make a 3 1/2" block.

2.  Sew the 2" triangles together and trim to make 1 3/4" blocks
3.  Draw a diagonal line on the tan 2 inch square and pin to the lower right 3 1/2" black square and sew on the diagonal line.
Sew the pieces together as shown, forming a right and left half and then sew the two halves together.

UPDATE:  GG asked for some cutting instructions for the rest of the crow topper so am providing some here based on measuring the topper but beware since it's shrunk a bit and I'm hoping the dimensions are still accurate.  No pictures but if you refer to the topper, it should be fairly easy to follow.

Pumpkin Block
Pumpkin orange square:  5" square
Snowball corners with background squares:  1 1/2"
Side background borders:  1 1/2 x 5" (cut two)
Top background border (each side of the stem) 1 1/2 x 3 1/4" (cut two)
Top AND Bottom border: 3/4" x 6 1/2" (cut two)
Green stem:  1 1/2" square

Crow Block (see blog post)

Setting Triangles (orange):   10" square cut diagonally twice

Corner Square Triangles (black) 5" square cut diagonally once (or you can cut a 7" square and cut diagonally twice)
Send me a message if any questions.

Here is a little half square triangle mini I'm working on.
I think I'll border it with some white and this blue.
 Here is a new quick method for making 2 inch HSTs.
Cut a 3 1/2" strip and cut 3 1/2" squares.  Pin the squares onto the strip and sew down one side, around the bottom and as you go up the other side, detour sideways and sew across the bottoms and tops horizontally.

You'll end up with a strip that looks like this

Then slice the squares apart and cut diagonally.

You'll end up with lots of little HSTs, ready to press open and trim.

Arrange in a pleasing layout and take a picture and sew them all together quickly.  Refer to your picture until they're all sewn together in the original formation. 
Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts
crazy mom quilts


4 comments:

legato1958 said...

This Crow and Pumpkin mini wallhanging is just perfect for the fall! I LOVE IT! Your quilting is getting so good... it adds a rich texture to the blocks!!
Thanks for the pattern for this!
I also love your HST mini.... it's going to be a knockout!
Susie

Bernie Kringel said...

I appreciate your ability to break down a project into such simple instructions. The crow is a fun one. Thanks for sharing this today!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the crow too and your idea for making small quilts. That's what I really want to learn to do this winter! Thanks for the inspiration! Hugs, Diane

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love making mini quilts! They are all over my house! Thanks for some fun ideas - I will definitely try the method for making lots of HSTs that you showed us.

X O X O

I've already packed up nearly all the Valentine's decor so wanted to finally get all my Valentine posts completed.  I wanted a small...